Nature's Atelier

Realising a Dream

I first fell in love with 431 Rendezvous Road Vasse about a year ago in May 2017. I was not looking for a new project, but somehow this property caught my attention, and I knew that this land could offer me the opportunity to develop an extraordinary space for the children of the Busselton and Margaret River Region to learn in a peaceful natural environment. The number of landscapes, the winter creek the peppermints and blue gums, old animal sheds and yards signalled a variety of opportunities for children to play in and engage with. Even the house seemed to be made for our project. Removing a few walls and adding bathroom facilities would create a homestead for the children to engage with during the day if they wished.

After the first meeting with the property, time got away from me and the months passed. It seemed that the project would be too big and too hard to do, but in December 2017 I learnt that the property was still on the market and I once more visited the idea, and a six-month adventure into the land of council planning approval began.

In January 2018 we placed an offer on the property, and I began collecting all the documentation needed for planning approval. We were required to obtain Bush Fire Management and Evacuation Plans, Traffic Impact Assessments, surveys of the property, plans of the proposed development. The red tape seemed to go on and on, but by mid-February 2018 we had completed the checklist and submitted our application. We then just had to wait until the process was completed. At the time of writing this we are three days away from final approval, and then the fun will begin.

While we were waiting for planning approval, all the preparation was done for the building approval process. Plans have been drawn and re-drawn. Details of entries, the flow of the children, disabled access, bathrooms, car parking, fox proofing animal enclosure have been discussed and debated. We have sought equipment and furniture as we see them emerge from websites and local sources. Key personnel have been approached so although there is a long way to go we are already well on our way to achieving our dream of providing an environment full of wonder and joy in which for children can spend their days.

I am forever grateful for the support of my husband and family. The development of Nature’s Atelier is a big project, but I am confident that it will be a unique and valuable resource for the families of the South West.

Over the next three months we will be completing the development stage of the project, and in spring, just as the families of ducks and swans will be inhabiting our winter creek, we will be inviting our first group of children to come and play in this most magical of spaces.

In the meantime, we will keep our supporters and future families up to date with our progress and invite you to come on this journey with us.

Footnote:  WE WERE GIVEN PLANNING APPROVAL ON THE 23rd OF MAY!